Who is the workshop for?
Students and young researchers in Geophysics, or other fields, interested in data processing and visualization, data management, disaster support systems based on automatically data processing
The purpose of the workshop:
● To familiarize the participants with the basics of Python programming language and
● To learn about Jupyter Notebook application
● To introduce the participants into the basics of data analysis and visualization using Python libraries
● Hands-on real seismological data (e.g. discovering and downloading waveforms, basic processing – filtering, correcting data, spectral analysis, earthquake catalogs).
Topics addressed in the workshop:
● Use of Jupyter Notebook
● Data analysis with Pandas
● Data visualization with Matplotlib
● ObsPy – a tool for processing seismological data
● Case study: data collections, earthquake detection and
location from continuous data
The Jupyter platform (https://jupyter.org/) provides an extremely useful tool (JupyterNotebook) that allows to create and run codes, analyze data, integrate content and share results. Formerly called IPython Notebook, the application facilitates collaborative work and proper documentation of codes, graphs or maps obtained. It is already a common tool used by researchers because it is user friendly and provides various formats for exporting and publishing results (PDF, HTML, ipynb, dashboards, slides, etc.).